The Van Alstyne ISD Health Services staff believes that the ability for students to learn is directly related to the status of their health. Van Alstyne ISD understands this and provides a full-time nurse on every campus with the goal of promoting optimum health for all students and staff.
School Nurse Roles and Responsibilities
1. Management of communicable illness through infection control measures (early detection, surveillance, reporting and follow-up) and ensuring immunization compliance.
2. Provide health assessments and interventions for students and staff who become ill or have an injury.
3. Screen and evaluate findings in vision, hearing, scoliosis, and acanthosis nigricans (risk assessment for Type II Diabetes)
4. Administer medications according to district policy
5. Case management and education for students with chronic illness: diabetes, asthma, ADHD
6. Coordinates health care status and plans with parents, physicians, and school personnel
7. Provide health education to students, staff, and parents
For more information regarding VAISD school clinics and their corresponding policies, please see the link provided below:
For a list of health clinics and immunization sites near you, please see the link provided below: